Competency-based credentials, known as micro-credentials, are a key part of the professional development offered by Global Education Exchange Opportunities in partnership with Digital Promise.
What are the competency-based credentials?
Competency-based credentials are digital certifications that evidence mastery of specific competencies, achievements or knowledge acquired through an evidence-based assessment system. Educators will have the opportunity to continue their professional improvement by acquiring micro-credentials.
Micro-credentials articulate a discrete skill to support educator practice and the specific evidence educators must submit to demonstrate competence in that skill.
Backed by research
Each micro-credential is based on solid research that illustrates how that competence supports learning.
Educators select micro-credentials from a catalog that is aligned with their personal goals, the needs of students, or school-wide educational priorities.
At your pace
Educators can begin and continue their micro-credentialing pathway at their own pace and in their own way.
- Customised and self-directed
- Available at your convenience
- Learning by doing
A driver's licence: To get your licence you have to learn by doing and demonstrate by your performance that you can drive in the real world. Micro-credentials are obtained in a similar way, by proving your competence in practice with your own students in the classroom.
A pole vault: The bar is in place and your goal is to get over it using the tools available to you (the pole, your own speed, strength and technique). You train and work as hard as necessary to get over the bar. The same goes for micro-credentials. Practice makes perfect and teaching skills is no exception. Personalising your learning process and honing the skills necessary to surpass the competition bar is the only required outcome.
A version of a single-skill certification: Micro-credentials, like any other recognised teacher certification, allow teachers to distinguish themselves as capable, effective educators who have achieved the most robust standards in the profession through a portfolio of their practice, evaluated by experts.
- Traditional online courses or classes
- Separated from the classroom context
- Learning by absorbing information
A university course: Although micro-credentials can work within the merit/salary system, they are not time- or process-based, and there is no required approach or sequence to earning a micro-credential.
A professional development workshop: Although micro-credentials can work as licence renewal credits, they are not face-to-face or scheduled, and do not require a substitute teacher or travel arrangements.
A traditional exam or assessment: Micro-credentials are not measured by passing an exam or other traditional assessment. Rather, micro-credentials are awarded based on evidence of practice and a defined rubric.
FOR THE USE OF TECHNOLOGY
Promoting digital citizenship
Reflection on the practice
Create or Login to the micro-credentialing platform
- Access the Digital Promise micro-credentialing platform at https://microcredentials.digitalpromise.org
- Sign In or Sign Up
- Confirm your account by email
- Check that you have logged in correctly.
- Complete yourprofile and save the changes.
Browse available micro-credentials
- Access the GEEO platform https://www.geeopr.com/de-innova/#credencialesporcompetencia
- Browse the catalog of available micro-credentials.
- Evaluate the information contained in the micro-credentials to identify which is aligned with your need.
- Select the micro-credit you wish to complete.
Send micro-credential application
- Access the digital version of the micro-credit.
- Read the micro-credit and identify the requirements.
- Access the micro-credential platform and start filling in the application. If you do not finish the micro-credential, you can save it and continue later.
- Send the application.
- You will receive an email indicating that the application was received.
Micro Credential Evaluation
- Once the MC is evaluated you will receive an email informing you if it was approved or denied.
- MC approved: you will receive an email in case the micro-credit is granted. You will be able to share your badge in various ways.
- MC denied: you will receive an e-mail with an invitation to file a new application.